Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Trouble with HDMI - VGA adapter

by wilsonericn on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:22 pm

I purchased a HDMI/VGA adapter, and I'm not able to get it to work.

I've tried with various monitors, and various VGA cables, and various config.txt settings.

In particular, I've tried:

hdmi_safe=1

and

hdmi_force_hotplug=1

and

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=16 # and 17 & 18

Each time I change the config.txt and reboot, the monitor wakes up, but never displays anything. (Unless connected via DVI).

What should I try? If you can get this working for me consistently (on various monitors) I'll likely order another 8 or so.
wilsonericn

Re: Trouble with HDMI - VGA adapter

by tetrode on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:29 am

Try adaptor from Cable Experts - it works great :D
tetrode

by cwc1885 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:41 am

Does it work with a flat screen LCD?
cwc1885

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:06 pm

As I mentioned in another thread (viewtopic.php?f=50&t=39473), this is an area where the RasPi sees a lot of edge cases. Try running:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -d edid.dat
/opt/vc/bin/edidparser edid.dat

to see what information the RasPi gets from your display.
When you void a product warranty, you give up your right to sue the manufacturer if something goes wrong and accept full responsibility for whatever happens next. And then you truly own the product.
adafruit_support_mike

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:46 pm

tetrode wrote:Try adaptor from Cable Experts - it works great :D

Just a heads-up: you're kind of walking the boundary between feedback and product spam.

I realize you've found a solution that works for you, you're enthusiastic about it, and that's great. A little searching here or in the Raspberry Pi forums will show that people get different results from the same adapter/config settings when connecting to different monitors though. Please be careful about posting one-size-fits-all solutions if you aren't in a position to give people refunds or support when they have trouble.
When you void a product warranty, you give up your right to sue the manufacturer if something goes wrong and accept full responsibility for whatever happens next. And then you truly own the product.
adafruit_support_mike